Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hero Worship: At The Alter of Social Media



Whether one believes in God or not, people cannot deny a need to believe is something or someone. Some people choose other human beings to worship, because they offer something they wish or desire in their lives that the person possesses. Other people believe that material possessions are a sign of status and hence believe in them to show their value in the world. But the question is when does hero worship become destructive to you?



In my own spiritual journey I have been re-examining my life and loves trying to reignite passion in my life. I found my childhood hero, Hudson Leick, on twitter (from Xena:Warrior Princess fame) and found my fascination reignited. The question of hero worship came to my mind when I joined her official facebook fanpage and watched fans in their God like worship. One woman literally published two to ten photos on the page a day commenting with confessions of love and praise. Hudson Leick was her goddess as she literally had nothing more to offer in comments other than love, praise and worship. She and I were similar in that I would of had no clue the extent of her devotion except for visiting the page every other day.



I have found myself on twitter following my favorite celebrities like a puppy, they my masters, having dog bones in their pockets. The dog bones being interesting little snippets making my mortal exisitence a little better, a little brighter. Most critics of religion will say that ignorant individuals choose to worship anything, because they are needy and feeble in mind and spirit. But I know I am a college graduate, avid reader and writer. The woman who posts all of those photos on that facebook page is a highly educated, highly decorated, multi-lingual business woman. Neither of us are ignorant and yet we feel the need to follow. I ask, is it wrong, for me to find joy in following a mere human being and worship at the altar of social media? As this journey continues we shall see.






"Becareful in your worship...for faith has the power to move mountains and cause wars"

1 comment:

  1. I don't think its wrong to follow or "worship" a celeb. I think you see characteristics that you find you like or ones that the character did that you love t hate. Everyone likes a bad girl/boy. There exciting and we like to see what they will do next. Its fun and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete