Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cult of Personality: Celebrity



You know the irritation of having a song playing over and over in your head. Yesterday for me it was Living Color's, Cult of Personality. It bothered me so much that I got out of bed and went to the computer to look up the lyrics. I was startled.



The words were poetry, vital today as the day they were written. It is really the theme song for being a celebrity.






.....I know your anger, I know your dreams



I've been everything you want to be ....






We make a celebrity by seeing in them something we admire or desire. We put those things as well as that person on a pedestal. Smart celebrities know they are on that pedestal and display that "public image" that will keep them in the public's good graces.






.....Neon Lights, A Nobel Prize



Than the mirror speaks, the reflection lies



You won't have to follow me



Only you can set me free






We have seen countless celebrities rise and fall. (EX Lindsay Lohan, Mel Gibson) When celebrities "public image" cracks we are faced with reality, their humanity, which is that they are fallible, deeply flawed people. After we see them for who they are we then have a choice to follow or not. It is like a shooting star as it goes across the sky, it captivates us, but who pays attention to where it falls?






.....I see the things you need to be



I'm the smiling face on your TV






In reality the only power a celebrity has is the power we give them. If we did not follow them would we know or care about their products? Would celebrities get those million dollar endorsement deals? The worst thing for a celebrity to do is to tarnish their image and take their public for granted.



We are followers in the "cult of personality". We worship a graven image of celebrity, not the reality. It seems caution is in order....



Living Color, you were prophets!

1 comment: